Saturday, July 9, 2011

6 Months old

Well I can’t believe this day has finally come…Baity is 6 months old today!

Trying to go to sleep...


The 6 months old age has always been a really big one to me. Mostly because it means he is half a year old and is now less puppy and more dog.
I’ve started noticing more male dog behaviors from Baity. Now when we go on walks, Baity is all of a sudden very aware of all the different dog scents. The fire hydrants and bushes that he used to completely ignore, have become much more interesting to him… and his nose. He also has lost completely all of his baby teeth and all of his adult teeth have grown in, including his big pointy canines. His bark also got a lot lower. That high pitch yap he used to have has gotten deep and loud, to the point where I barely recognized his voice! But I am very fortunate because he rarely barks. He only barks when he is put in his crate during daylight hours and knows someone is still in the house. (Note: Baity is rarely in his crate during the week, only for events which he can’t come to, and no more than 4 hours tops. Except of course for sleeping, which he is required to be in a crate)




 Baity has also grown a ton! About a week and a half ago I took Baity to get him weighed and he was a big 55 lbs (his brothers are about 45lbs and his sisters about 35). Since then, he has managed to grow more. Sadly I do not own a scale but I’m guessing he is getting pretty close to 60lbs. The vet told us he would probably be between 80-90, which is pretty big. But we will see…




But for me, the biggest and best change that has happened, is that he is finally starting to lead during walks! As a guide dogs in training, it's important that they give some sort of pull or lead when walking, since this is exactly what they will have to do in harness! Baity has always been a very slow walker and enjoyed lagging behind. But all of a sudden, he has much more enthusiasm for walks, and manages to keep the perfect distance and pull in front of me the whole walk! I was thrilled the first time this happened yesterday.

So although Baity is growing and becoming a bigger dog and less of a puppy each day, he is becoming a better guide dog and is learning so much. It's sad to see my little boy grow so quickly, but I am also extremely excited for all the things the future holds for him as he becomes a full grown dog, and confident guide dog.

Until the next adventure...

No comments:

Post a Comment